As mentioned in a recent blog post about our adventures in Washington State, West I-90 Crockpot Green Chili Pork is one of our go-to meals while traveling in our Motorcoach BAM. This is my tried and tested recipe. Please keep in mind that, while traveling, I am going for simplicity and ease. So, this recipe does include several canned ingredients.
In BAM, I have a small crockpot, and this recipe easily serves four (4). It could be doubled for a larger crockpot.
Crockpot Green Chili Pork
Prep Time – 15 mins
Cook Time – 6 hrs
Total Time – 6 hrs 15 mins
Green Chili Pork Ingredients
2 Pounds – Pork Loin Roast*
2 – 28 ounce cans – MACAYOS Green Chile Sauce
1 -10 ounce can – ROTEL Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes (with Lime Juice and Cilantro)
2 – 4.0 ounce can – HATCH diced green chiles
2 tsp of Diced Garlic
1 Sweet Onion – diced
2 tsp of Cumin
Salt and Pepper to Taste
*Many people use a pork shoulder roast. I look for a nice pork loin roast with minimal cartilage and fat. The cut and quality of the pork roast will make a difference in the quality of the meal.
Green Chili Pork Instructions:
- Place diced garlic and onion into crock pot.
- Trim excess fat from pork and place into Crockpot on top of diced onion and garlic
- Next, add the diced tomatoes, cumin and only 1-can of green chilies to the Crockpot
- Mix “only ” – can of Macayos Green Chili Sauce
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours
After cooking for 4-6 hours, Remove the pork roast from the crockpot and determine “doneness” by pulling / shredding with a fork or a set of meat shredders. (If it pulls apart easily – its ready – complete shredding!! If not, return to crockpot and cook until it does pull / shred easily.)
To Finish – Option 1: (My favorite)
- Use a colander to drain the remaining Crockpot liquid and retain the cooked diced tomatoes, onions and green chilies.
- Return pulled / shredded pork and retained cooked diced tomatoes, onions and green chilies to the Crockpot.
- Add the 1 remaining can of diced green chilies
- Add all or part of the remaining 1 can of Macayos Green Chili Sauce (add until you achieve your desire consistency.)
- Stir to mix Ingredients
- Place lid back onto the crock pot and reheat for approximately 30 minutes (low)
(I prefer this method as it does eliminate a lot of the fat from the pork that was cooked in the crockpot, and I can control the consistency.)
To Finish – Option 2:
- Return shredded / pulled pork to the Crockpot
- About 20 minutes before serving, mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl until thick and slowly add to the slow cooker.
- Place lid back onto the crock pot and let thicken.
Green Chili Pork – Serving
Most often, we serve with warm tortillas, diced fresh avocados and tomatoes, shredded Mexican cheese, and a personal choice of hot sauce (if desired). It’s a quick and easy meal – especially when on the road.
We also will use any leftovers the next morning for eggs and / or breakfast burritos!!
Tim and Deborah Bateman